Today, when smartphone users have reached the mark of 3.8 billion worldwide, having a mobile application for your business becomes a necessity. Moreover, when you can develop an app quickly and conveniently, there is no reason not to have one for your business purpose. However, when there are many mobile app development tools available in the market, it becomes difficult to figure out which one would be the best for your mobile application. Well, to ease out things for you, this article has covered the five best app development tools that will help you choose the right ones. So, let’s get started!
What is a Mobile Application?
Before moving on to the app development tools, it is crucial to understand what a mobile application is. In layman language, a mobile app is nothing but an application software created by an app development company to run on mobile devices, such as a smartphone or a tablet. The primary purpose of designing these apps is to provide the users with similar features that they can access on their PCs. It depends on the type of application and what purpose it will serve the users. For example, online banking apps are for making payment transactions, checking banking history online, etc. Another example is the Health and fitness apps that can track your daily physical activity, do a virtual body check-up, and much more.
Since you get an idea of what a mobile app is, let’s move to the development tools you need for the application development process.
5 Best cross-platform app development tools
In an interview with Buildfire on mobile application development, Forrester Research’s app developer Michael Facemire shared his views regarding app development tools. According to him, Mobile app development tools for developers are similar to paintbrushes for an artist – they all depend on personal preferences and requirements.
He wants to convey that it depends on your mobile application’s needs like what tools you should use and which one of them will best suit this purpose. Below is a list of some of the best cross-platform tools you can access to develop your business application. Here they are:
- It is a Microsoft owned cross-platform framework with the advantage of a C# codebase that uses single code across all the major platforms, be it Android, iOS, or Windows.
- One of the best things about it is that it allows code sharing, with which you can create applications that deliver an authentic native app-like experience.
- It is one of the most time-saving and cost-effective frameworks for mobile app development.
- The component store of Xamarin consists of UI control, third party resources and multiple platform libraries.
- It also includes a cloud service that allows you to test on numerous devices.
- It is a preferred tool that works on improving the speed of mobile app development.
- Appcelerator comes with higher cloud capacity limits.
- It uses PHP, JS, and HTML to create native applications for all the major platforms (iOS, Android, and Windows).
- With Appcelerator, you can get over 5000 APIs for iOS, Android, and Windows applications.
- PhoneGap, also known by the name of Apache Cordova, is an open-source framework that uses CSS3, HTML5, and JS to create cross-platform applications.
- It is a robust tool for designing applications without any additional skill set.
- You can integrate many libraries into it to speed up the app development process.
- With its plug-in architecture, your developer can extend the functionalities of your application.
- Being an easily workable tool, you can develop your business applications in much lesser time and with much lesser efforts.
- Unity is a popular and widely used game development platform used to develop high-quality 2D and 3D games.
- With its feature of integrating video ads into mobile games, it also enhances player engagement.
- You can also use Unity to develop AR (Augmented Reality) and VR (Virtual reality) applications.
- It is a complete package that offers a wide range of tools that take care of the whole process, from developing to launching gaming apps.
- Since interactive gaming apps have always been appealing to the users, apps created by Unity have the capability of generating significant scale revenue.
- To design immersive games and other mobile applications, Corona Labs can be another great choice.
- It is a well-standardized tool built on OpenGL 2.0, OpenAL and other industry standards.
- Apart from 2D graphic gaming applications, you can also build interactive educational apps with this platform.
- When optimized with hardware-accelerated features, it can lead to robust performance in games and apps.
- Being an easy-to-grasp and user-friendly platform, Corona labs is a time-saving dev tool.
When you try to search for app development tools, you will find out that there are a plethora of them in the market that you can’t even think of. But the issue is to find one that will suit your business app requirements. The above five development tools are some of the most popular and widely used resources for creating mobile applications. However, there are many other than these that can be more beneficial and suitable according to your needs. Therefore, the best way to figure this out is to contact a mobile application development company that will assist you in choosing the right platform for this. The expertise of these professionals will make your work easy, and a little investment can turn out to be a significant profit for your business.