Many bodybuilders and weight trainers utilise whey protein as it contains a variety of amino acids. So, you must be wondering what exactly is whey protein and why people buy these protein supplements online? Before you get to know its types and benefits, let’s learn more about whey protein.
What is whey protein?
Milk consists of proteins like casein and whey. Whey is a liquid that is formed after it gets separated from curds during the process of cheesemaking. In the past, cheesemakers would dispose of the whey. But after understanding the nutritional value of whey, they don’t do that anymore. If you are a fitness enthusiast and may not be getting sufficient proteins, you can opt for whey protein powder. You can add it to your protein bars or shakes. But if you don’t have it, then you can purchase the protein supplements online.
Now, let’s get to know the types of protein.
What are the types of whey protein?
Whey protein has different forms because the manner of processing them differs. Here are the following types of whey protein:
- Hydrolysate: Hydrolysate or hydrolyzed whey is easy to digest since it digests long protein chains or peptides into shorter ones. There will be a spike of 28 to 43 per cent in the insulin level in this type of whey compared to the whey in isolate form.
- Isolate whey: Isolate whey consists of 90 per cent or more proteins with less lactose and fat. You will find it in many protein supplements, protein drinks, and protein bars. In case you have a milk allergy, you should never try it.
- Concentrate: The concentrated form of whey protein consists of 70 to 80 per cent of proteins with lactose and fat. Also, this type of protein is delectable.
Since you know about the types of whey protein, let’s learn a few of its benefits.
What are the benefits of whey protein?
Whey proteins have several benefits because they are loaded with amino acids, which are the building blocks of proteins. Following are the benefits of whey protein.
- Increases your muscle mass and strength: Due to the release of the anabolic hormone called insulin, whey protein increases muscle mass and strength. This insulin helps in the growth of the muscles. Muscle protein synthesis is stimulated by leucine in whey. More than any other proteins, whey brings about faster muscle growth.
- Helps you eat less: When you include whey protein in your diet, you will start feeling fuller, and when you feel fuller, you eat less. In that case, it balances the number of calories and increases your energy levels. As per studies, your cravings are brought down to 60 per cent when your protein intake is 1/4th of your daily requirement. You can increase lean muscle mass by combining weight lifting and whey protein.
- Helps in recovery from exercise: Consuming whey protein helps in increasing your running speed and improving your athletic ability. Furthermore, you will also recover quickly from an intense workout. It is due to these reasons why many fitness enthusiasts prefer whey protein powder. You can purchase protein supplements online.
- Other health benefits: Whey protein supports and improves your immune system. Additionally, it also lowers the total and LDL cholesterol of your body.
Overall, whey protein helps with muscle protein synthesis and promotes lean muscle mass growth. It is good for all fitness enthusiasts and those who want to lose weight. So, purchase the supplements and stay fit.